Wyoming Child Support Enforcement Resource Center

Alert! COVID-19 INFORMATION: Support Collectors is here to help during these difficult times. Read our full statement ›

Wyoming Child Support Enforcement Resource Center

Even if the non-custodial parent lives outside the state of Wyoming, the law requires cooperation between states. The non-custodial parent is legally required to make regular child support payments, regardless of where they live.

Wyoming Support Enforcement Measures

If a non-custodial parent does not pay child support, he or she is subject to enforcement measures in accordance with Federal and Wyoming child support law to collect regular and past-due payments.

  • Income withholding
  • Suspend an obligor’s driver’s license and/or commercial driver’s license, professional, occupational and/or recreational license.
  • Charging the noncustodial parent with civil contempt of court or criminal nonsupport
  • Deny a passport or have a passport revoked or restricted
  • Report the noncustodial parent to credit reporting agencies
  • Put a lien on the noncustodial parent’s property
  • Require the noncustodial parent to post bond, security or guarantee to insure that he/she pays child support

Who Can Enforce Court Ordered Child Support in Wyoming?

The Wyoming Child Support Enforcement is the state-run child support enforcement office for Wyoming. The Wyoming Department of Family Services is required by federal law to provide services through Child Support Enforcement (CSE) and is funded by the federal government and the state of Wyoming.

Full Time Equiv. Staff 209
Total Caseload 34,971

1 U.S. Office of Child Support Enforcement, Boxscores for FY 2005

Interest on Missed Child Support Payments

Wyoming provides for interest to be charged on late child support payments at a rate of 10% penalty on current missed obligation payments. 10% interest is charged on amounts reduced to judgment.

Wyoming’s Statute of Limitations on Back Child Support Payments (Arrears)

Enforcement of past due child support in Wyoming is not subject to a statute of limitations.

Wyoming’s Statute of Limitations for Determination of Paternity

In Wyoming, paternity actions must occur within 3 years after the age of majority if brought by the child or the State of Wyoming. 5 years after the date of birth if brought by another party.

Age of Emancipation / Age of Majority in Wyoming

The age of emancipation in Wyoming is 18 years of age, unless the child is self-supporting, legally married or active in the armed services. A child under the age of 18 may petition the court for a declaration of emancipation. (W.S. 14-1-101 and 14-1-201)

How Are Child Support Payment Amounts Determined in Wyoming?

In Wyoming, after the combined net income of both parents is determined it shall be used in conjunction with support guideline tables to find the appropriate total child support obligation of both parents. The child support obligation calculated from the tables shall be divided between the parents in proportion to the net income of each.

When the combined income of both parents is less than $732.00, the support obligation of the noncustodial parent is set at 25% of net income. The support obligation is never set at less than $50.00 per month.

When each parent keeps the children overnight for more than 40% of the year and both parents contribute substantially to the expenses of the children in addition to the payment of child support, a joint support obligation shall be determined by use of support guideline tables. After the joint presumptive child support obligation is derived from the tables, that amount shall be divided between the parents in proportion to the net income of each. The proportionate share of the total obligation of each parent is then multiplied by the percentage of time the children spend with the other parent to determine the theoretical support obligation owed to the other parent. The parent owing the greater amount of child support shall pay the difference between the two amounts as the net child support obligation.

Custody and Visitation Issues

Child support and visitation rights are separate issues. The court determines both and will usually order the non-custodial parent to pay support and the custodial parent to make the child available for visits.

The custodial parent must obey the court order for visitation, even if the non-custodial parent cannot or will not pay child support. The court can enforce any of its orders against either parent.