Utah Child Support Enforcement Resource Center

Alert! COVID-19 INFORMATION: Support Collectors is here to help during these difficult times. Read our full statement ›

Utah Child Support Enforcement Resource Center

Even if the non-custodial parent lives outside the state of Utah, the law requires cooperation between states. The non-custodial parent is legally required to make regular child support payments, regardless of where they live.

Utah Support Enforcement Measures

If a non-custodial parent does not pay child support, he or she is subject to enforcement measures in accordance with Federal and Utah child support law to collect regular and past-due payments.

  • State and/or federal income tax refunds garnished.
  • Reporting to credit bureaus.
  • Paycheck withholding, worker’s compensation and unemployment benefit withholding.
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Professional or occupational licenses suspended or revoked.
  • New applications for and renewals of U.S. passport denied, suspended and/or revoked.
  • Filing for contempt of court, which can result in a jail sentence.
  • Liens on bank accounts, worker’s compensation settlements and real or personal property.
  • Past due payments may be seized from lottery winnings

Who Can Enforce Court Ordered Child Support in Utah?

The Utah Office of Recovery Services is the state-run child support enforcement office for Utah. The services of the Department of Human Services (DHS) are required by federal law and funded by the federal government and the State of Utah.

Full Time Equiv. Staff 544
Total Caseload 77,402

1 U.S. Office of Child Support Enforcement, Boxscores for FY 2005

Support Collectors Collects Past Due Child Support in Utah

If the Office of Recovery Services hasn’t been able to get the results you want or you don’t think they’ll be able to give you the personal attention you deserve, Support Collectors can help. Support Collectors has developed a proven system that teams attorneys, investigators and enforcement specialists to work your case from every possible angle. We work nationwide and our only business is collecting support. Our success rate is up to three times better than the Utah ORS and we never charge you a cent unless we put money in your hands.

Interest on Missed Child Support Payments

The State of Utah does not charge interest on past due payments or retroactive support. It does allow for interest on adjudicated arrears at the federal post-judgment rate plus 2% on judgments. (This rate changes each January.)

Utah Statute of Limitations on Back Child Support Payments (Arrears)

Utah’s statute of limitations for child support arrears is the age of majority of the last child on the order, plus 4 years. (Unless a sum-certain judgment has been taken.)

Utah Statute of Limitations for Determination of Paternity

According to Utah law, paternity must be established before the child’s 18th birthday.

Age of Emancipation / Age of Majority in Utah

Age of majority in Utah is set at 18 years of age or when the child has graduated from high school during the their normal and expected year of graduation, which ever occurs later. (U.C.A. 78-45-7.10)

Duty to pay child support is typically terminated at age 18 for order issued prior to July 1, 1994. For orders issued after July 1, 1994, 18 years of age or when the child graduates from high school during the their normal and expected year of graduation, which ever occurs later.

How Are Child Support Payment Amounts Determined in Utah?

The Utah Legislature determines the formula used to determine child support payment amounts. The calculation is based on the parties’ incomes, the number of children, the person with whom the children live, and the amounts of child care expenses, medical, and dental expenses.

The Utah child support calculator on the ORS website can provide a simple estimate of support payment amounts.

Custody and Visitation Issues

Child support and visitation rights are separate issues. The court determines both and will usually order the non-custodial parent to pay support and the custodial parent to make the child available for visits.

The custodial parent must obey the court order for visitation, even if the non-custodial parent cannot or will not pay child support. The court can enforce any of its orders against either parent.

You Have Options

Any custodial parent not receiving public assistance may contract with a child support collection agency such as Support Collectors, or hire a private attorney, and at the same time have a case open with the Utah DHS. We work harder to collect the child support you are owed.

Collecting support is all we do and we give you the personalized, dedicated attention that your case deserves. Call us at (888) 729-6661 or get started online right now! We don’t charge a cent until we put money in your pocket.