Mississippi Child Support Enforcement Resource Center

Alert! COVID-19 INFORMATION: Support Collectors is here to help during these difficult times. Read our full statement ›

Mississippi Child Support Enforcement Resource Center

Even if the non-custodial parent lives outside the state of Mississippi, the law requires cooperation between states. The non-custodial parent is legally required to make regular child support payments, regardless of where they live.

Mississippi Support Enforcement Measures

If a non-custodial parent does not pay child support, he or she is subject to enforcement measures in accordance with Federal and Mississippi child support law to collect regular and past-due payments.

  • Income withholding directly from the noncustodial parent’s paycheck.
  • Tax offset intercept from IRS or State tax refunds.
  • Unemployment intercept directly from the noncustodial parent’s unemployment check.
  • A noncustodial parent can be taken back to court for non-compliance with the court order. This could result in the court ordering the noncustodial parent to be incarcerated.
  • Credit bureau reporting
  • Any individual who fails to comply with a subpoena or warrant relating to paternity or support, as well as failing to provide court ordered child support, is subject to having his/her license suspended; (i.e. drivers, professional, other state issued licenses, etc.)
  • U.S. Passport revocation
  • Courts can order a noncustodial parent to get a job to pay for ordered support.

Who Can Enforce Court Ordered Child Support in Mississippi?

The Mississippi Division of Child Support Enforcement is the state-run child support enforcement office for Mississippi. The services of the Mississippi Department of Human Services (DHS) are required by federal law and funded by the federal government and the State of Mississippi.

Full Time Equiv. Staff 427
Total Caseload 298,543

1 U.S. Office of Child Support Enforcement, Boxscores for FY 2005

Support Collectors Collects Past Due Child Support in Mississippi

If the Division of Child Support Enforcement hasn’t been able to get the results you want or you don’t think they’ll be able to give you the personal attention you deserve, Support Collectors can help. Support Collectors has developed a proven system that teams attorneys, investigators and enforcement specialists to work your case from every possible angle. We work nationwide and our only business is collecting support. Our success rate is up to three times better than the Mississippi DCSE and we never charge you a cent unless we put money in your hands.

Interest on Missed Child Support Payments

The State of Mississippi usually charges 8% interest on past due payments, retroactive support, and adjudicated arrears. A different percentage may be stipulated in the court order, however.

Mississippi’s Statute of Limitations on Back Child Support Payments (Arrears)

The statute of limitations for child support arrears in Mississippi is 7 years past age of majority.

Mississippi’s Statute of Limitations for Determination of Paternity

According to Mississippi law, paternity must be established before the child is 18 years of age.

Age of Emancipation / Age of Majority in Mississippi

Age of majority in Mississippi is set at 21 years of age. (MCA Sections 93-5-23 & 93-11-65).

Duty to pay child support is typically terminated automatically in Mississippi at the age of 21. If both parties agree, support may continue beyond the age of majority and some courts may order this if the child is handicapped or has special needs.

How Are Child Support Payment Amounts Determined in Mississippi?

Mississippi statute 43-19-01 and 43-19-103 establish guidelines for child support payments. These guidelines provide the percentage of the noncustodial parent’s adjusted gross income that should be awarded for support based on the number of children due support.

Custody and Visitation Issues

Child support and visitation rights are separate issues. The court determines both and will usually order the non-custodial parent to pay support and the custodial parent to make the child available for visits.

The custodial parent must obey the court order for visitation, even if the non-custodial parent cannot or will not pay child support. The court can enforce any of its orders against either parent.

You Have Options

Any custodial parent not receiving public assistance may contract with a child support collection agency such as Support Collectors, or hire a private attorney, and at the same time have a case open with the Mississippi Division of Child Support Enforcement. We work harder to collect the child support you are owed.

Collecting support is all we do and we give you the personalized, dedicated attention that your case deserves. Call us at (888) 729-6661 or get started online right now! We don’t charge a cent until we put money in your pocket.