Ask the experts… can adult children collect unpaid child support?

Ask the experts… can adult children collect unpaid child support?



My name is Robin B. and I am 35 years old. I was wondering is it too late for me and my brothers to collect back pay in child support, considering the fact that we are all in our 30’s. Would we have to file or can our mother file for the back pay? If so, how would she go about filing and how would she able to find out the remainder he owes? How does this process work?

Please let me know if we have a chance of collecting our child support

Thank you,


Hi Robin,

Thank you for the question on the potential of collecting the support owed to your Mom. It would be your Mom that needs to apply for help but and you or your brother can also be a contact to help Mom navigate through process. There are a few things we need to get started: copy of all judge signed child support orders, a payment history form Mom or the state and most important info on your Dad (social security # and date of birth are key). We will need to determine the “collectability” of the case based on his current situation meaning is he working, on SSI, is he is someone that can be located; I think you can see where I’m going here.

If you or your Mom would like to discuss the process and the potential of your case for collection, I’d be happy to chat with both of you and answer questions. My contact info is below, or, please send a number I can reach you at and I will give you a call.

Thank you for reaching out to us. It’s worth a call to us to see what can be done to collect the child support your family deserves.

Customer Service Manager